Ghost Detector

Posted by

My dad is fascinated with paranormal investigation shows, so I thought it would be fun to build a ghost detector for a Christmas present. I wanted include to as many features as possible, so the project uses both a raspberry pi and arduino nano.

The ghost detector runs on a python script using Tkinter for the user interface. Videos and screenshots are saved to a USB flash drive.

You can find the code for the project here: https://github.com/AnthonyDipilato/GhostDetector

Overall, the ghost detector works well, but the cooling fan does cause interference with the EMF sensors.

A video demo can be found here:

Features

  • Touchscreen display
  • Infrared Camera
  • Infrared LED lights
  • Microphone
  • Compass
  • Altimeter
  • Temperature Sensor
  • Barometric Pressure Sensor
  • Dual EMF Sensors (arduino nano)
  • Geiger Counter

I recently bought a 3D printer so this was the perfect project for it. I used Autodesk Fusion 360 to design the enclosure. They offer a free license for hobbyists.

For the display, I used the official Raspberry Pi touch screen display.

 

I didn’t really plan out the layout for the accessory board before I soldered the pin headers, so a couple of the chips are upside down and backwards but I was able to make it work.

  • 5v charging board
  • 2x 5v 3A step-up power supplies
  • arduino nano (for emf sensors)
  • BMP180 barometric pressure/temperature sensor
  • HMC5883L magnometer
  • logic level converter to interface arduino to raspberry pi.
  • The Geiger counter is a separate board.

Accessory board wired up. The camera is the Raspberry Pi NOIR camera. For power I am using two Panasonic 18650 3400mAh batteries.

Testing the infrared camera. Also interesting, blood absorbs infrared light so you can see all of the veins in my arm.

Testing the display.

Render of the enclosure with camera and light mounts.

 

Printed prototype.

Testing the video recording.

For the bottom of the enclosure, I included mounts for the cooling fan and antennas for EMF sensors.

 

The geiger counter board ended up being 20mm wider than the enclosure so I had to adjust the design.

  

For the final enclosure I wanted to have a handmade look, so I decided to use wood pla. It is sandable and stainable to give a convincing wood look.

About 25 hours into the print for the final enclosure.

Before and after sanding and staining.

   

Final enclosure wired and assembled.

 

Final result.